"Establish an internal compliance and training program related to the hiring and employment verification process, including completion of Form I-9, how to detect fraudulent use of documents in the verification process, and how to use E-Verify and SSNVS."
IMAGE*"12 Best Hiring Practices"
U.S. Immigration & Customs Enforcement
You don't know what you don't know. Consider the level of risk you may be carrying if you are not receiving current training on processing the Form I-9. Answering these points may be one way you can test your knowledge and confidence in your program.
- Has training been offered in the last year?
- Are you aware of the regulatory changes in the past few months?
- Are you confident your process meets or exceeds government expectations?
- Are you confident your Form I-9 records practices will be approved upon inspection?
- Does staff know how to detect if a document is fraudulent 'on its face'?
- Are you familiar with common pitfalls of over-documentation or document abuse?
- Does staff know all documents must now be valid at the time of hire?
- Do you need to update the Form I-9 if a permanent resident card expires during employment?
- Are the forms being completed timely?
- Do you have standard policy for employees who present a document that establishes work eligibility but doesn't meet the I-9 requirements?
- Does staff know the retention schedule for terminated employee records?
If you're feeling unsure about any of these questions, it's time to schedule training.
The end result of reliable I-9 training must offer knowledge you can rely on, knowledge you can use to protect yourself in the future, knowledge that compliments your company's reputation for credibility.
If you want a comprehensive training program that is customized to your needs, we offer training on-site at your facility or via a webinar.
- A coverage of general guidelines, creating a solid knowledge base
Form I-9 Processing
- Proper completion of each section; in-depth review of common mistakes and potential at your company due to the employee base
- Acceptable variances in data fields on the Form I-9 - what will pass?
- Re-Verifying temporary work authorization documents
- Correction techniques; ICE's viewpoint on how to correctly amend the Form I-9
With more knowledge being made available to the public, companies can avoid hiring undocumented aliens by learning how to discern what documentation appears "valid on it's face"
- Acceptable documentation and receipts - is your staff turning away valid documents? Are they accepting invalid documents?
- Understanding immigration related documents - this topic will be covering some documents in-depth and others generally.
- Common signs and helpful tools to address questionable documents.
- Signs of document abuse and how easy it is to innocently create this problem
- Unfair practices
- Employer sanctions
Government Support Programs
This portion of the training is a discussion on the guidelines, instructions and proper usage of federal employment eligibility verification programs.
- Government agencies who investigate I-9 compliance
- Being prepared in event of an audit
- What not to do and what your staff should know once the government has issued a Notice of Inspection
*IMAGE "ICE Mutual Agreement between Government and Employers" is a voluntary program that allows private industry to partner with ICE to reduce unauthorized employment and the use of fraudulent identity documents.